Shipping and Handling
We often receive questions about our shipping and handling procedures. Below, we've tried our best to answer the questions you might have about shipping. After all, as a nonprofit it’s your support that keeps us going, and so we want to be as transparent as possible.
What if I provided the wrong shipping information?
If you provided an incorrect shipping address or contact information, please email or call our customer service within 2 hours. Please note that the responsibility for entering information correctly is yours. We are unable to redirect a shipment to another address after we have processed and shipped the order. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 1-877-422-8404
Why is shipping so expensive?
There are several expenses involved in shipping the items you purchase in our store. We've broken them down here:
- Handling. That’s the first expense. The amount charged by USPS represents only a fraction of the overall shipping cost. Media Mail, for instance, the rate we use for magazines is relatively inexpensive: $2.99 for destinations within the U.S.
- Then, there’s the cost of getting the magazines from the printer to the warehouse. The cost of storing the magazines in the warehouse. The cost of a warehouse employee filling the order—”picking and packing” it’s called. And the cost of the materials to send it: envelope, labels, etc.
- Item origin. If there’s more than one item in your order they’re probably shipping from different locations. Or they’re shipping from the same location and each item needs a different type of package. Each item then ends up with its own shipping and handling cost.
- We use trackable services for most shipments.
- Unlike Amazon we don’t have a membership fee that’s separate from the item purchase. Our charges for shipping are linked to each purchase as they’re made.
How long will it take to receive my order?
There's the time it takes for us to process it and then there's the amount of time it takes Canada Post, USPS, and/or the receiving postal services worldwide to deliver it.
Our goal is to have your order ready to ship within 2 to 3 business days. We'll notify you when it's been sent. And if the amount you paid for shipping allows for it, you'll receive a tracking number.
The following are what we're seeing in the way of delivery times. For items shipping within the U.S. or within Canada, 1 to 2 weeks is routine; for items shipping between Canada and the U.S., 2 to 3 weeks; and, for items shipping from the U.S. and/or Canada to international destinations, 4 to 8 weeks.
Subscriptions take an average of 6 to 10 weeks depending on when they are received in the publishing cycle.
Why does it take so long to deliver?
It's possible your order will arrive in less time than suggested above, however we are unable to guarantee arrival dates for several reasons, such as increased global shipping volumes (they've increased eight-fold since the beginning of 2020!). Also, there are unprecedented numbers not only of sales but of returns in the general mail stream. Add to this the more frequent disruption of extreme weather events, pandemic restrictions, and reduced shipping capacity as a result of a reduced number of carriers and delivery time is invariably impacted.
It is worth noting that we do not have the operational capacity of a regular retail store. We are a small (yet dedicated!) organization, and we appreciate your patience with purchases you make in our store. Each purchase supports our mission, and for that reason we are so glad you've chosen to shop with us.
What about customs and duty?
Lion's Roar has no control over customs and duty charges, those are applied by the receiving country. We don't charge for customs and duty at checkout as some companies do. Instead customs and duties are applied at the border by the country in question. These charges don't apply in every case. The customs officials in your country are in the best position to make that call. Talk to your local post office for more information.